Welcome to Ontario Extend
Building digital fluency skills for Ontario’s
postsecondary educators since 2017!
What is Ontario Extend?
Ontario Extend is a micro-credentialed professional learning program grounded in the belief that the impact of learning should be the primary motivator for creating technology-enabled and online learning experiences. It aims to empower educators to explore a range of emerging technologies and pedagogical practices for effective online and technology-enabled teaching and learning.
The Ontario Extend program is designed to;
- explore key skills and knowledge to extend and transform our teaching and learning
- contribute to the digital fluency of educators
- support digital tool selection using evidence-based research
The Ontario Extend program is a key component of the eCampusOntario Strategic Plan, 2021-24: Digital by Design that supports rich, equitable, inclusive and flexible digital educational experiences in collaboration with our member institutions.
Earn your micro-credential this Summer!
You can obtain your micro-certification at any time by completing the 6 modules asynchronously!
We are offering facilitated sessions for each of the 6 modules beginning
June 5 with continuous enrollment through
August 25. Use the button below to register anytime!
This summer we will be offering facilitated sessions in French!
When are the sessions?
We always offer all six Extend modules asynchronously, but this summer they will be offered as facilitated courses with optional synchronous drop-in sessions delivered in the Brightspace Learning Management System and as always, there is no cost to participate in the program!
Beginning June 5th through to August 25th, our flexible approach to facilitated delivery offers multiple opportunities to engage with each of the six program modules in the way that works best with your busy schedule.
Continuing this summer!
We will be offering live sessions en français!
Click to enlarge
Download the Ontario Summer 2023 Facilitation Schedule
- “Extend” your digital fluency skills through a variety of activities that will enable you to meet the flexible needs of any learner in online and hybrid learning environments.
- Make new connections with other postsecondary educators in Ontario and share ideas through Community of Practice learning experiences.
- Earn digital badges as you complete each module.
- Earn the Empowered Educator micro-credential by completing all 6 modules & share your accomplishments.
- Participate in a program that is endorsed by several postsecondary institutions across the province.
Who should participate?
- Full time faculty
- Part-time faculty
- Teaching and Research Assistants
- Instructional Designers
- Curriculum Developers
- Anyone from an institution in Ontario involved in the delivery of online or technology enabled education is welcome!
How do I get started?
Register for a Brightspace account! Communication, content and community discussions are alive in Brightspace!
2. Choose a module
Once enrolled in Brightspace, you will have access to all of the modules, but we recommend newcomers start with the Teacher for Learning module. It contains foundational information and activities to reflect upon pedagogy before engaging with technology. Then it’s “choose your own” module adventure from there. You can view the learning outcomes of each 4-6 hour module under the Badges tab.
3. Setup an Activity Bank account
The Activity Bank is where you will submit your responses to module activities. Before beginning the program, you will need to complete a one-time registration for an Activity Bank account.
4. Join in the Discussions
Participate in the Brightspace Discussion boards to contribute to ongoing conversations with members of the education community.
For more information about how to participate in the program, watch our new Ontario Extend promotional video above.
Ontario Extend: Professional Learning for Educators (Infographic)
In 2021, eCampusOntario embarked on a journey to scale the Ontario Extend program to reach more educators in more Ontario postsecondary institutions. This infographic provides an overview of the incredible results of these efforts and how your institution can get involved.