The Value of SoTL
The purpose of SoTL is to improve student learning by implementing optimized teaching practices based on research and evidence to support changes in practice.
But what is the value of SoTL for faculty?
Many SoTL practitioners, publications, and journals list potential benefits of a proactive approach to classroom scholarship, some of which are articulated in Making a Case for SoTL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlWM4K2WL3Q. This video also makes a case for institutions to support faculty who are engaging in SoTL research.
Source: Center for Engaged Learning at Elon University and the International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (ISSOTL). This video was produced for ISSOTL Online 2013.
- From the list of potential benefits below, pick a few statements that would motivate you to become more engaged in SoTL activities.
- Better student outcomes and assessment scores.
- Useful data for assessments, program reviews, and accreditation processes.
- Faculty development opportunities.
- Increased reflection on teaching and learning among colleagues.
- Stronger overall faculty that values teaching and student learning.
- Promotion of new networks among faculty members.
- Scholarship opportunities in the form of presentations and publications.
- Opportunity for outside funding to support program innovation.
- Renewed faculty excitement about teaching and greater self-awareness.You might also consider other benefits that you can think of that aren’t on this list.
- Update your padlet note at http://tiny.cc/extend-scholarship to reflect two to three value propositions that would motivate you to participate in SoTL activities. Compare with others.