The Value of SoTL
The purpose of SoTL is to improve student learning by implementing optimized teaching practices based on research and evidence to support changes in practice.
But what is the value of SoTL for faculty?
Many SoTL practitioners, publications, and journals list potential benefits of a proactive approach to classroom scholarship, some of which are articulated in the video: Making a Case for SoTL. This video also makes a case for institutions to support faculty who are engaging in SoTL research.
From the list of potential benefits below, pick a few statements that would motivate you to become more engaged in SoTL activities.
- Better student outcomes and assessment scores.
- Useful data for assessments, program reviews, and accreditation processes.
- Faculty development opportunities.
- Increased reflection on teaching and learning among colleagues.
- Stronger overall faculty that values teaching and student learning.
- Promotion of new networks among faculty members.
- Scholarship opportunities in the form of presentations and publications.
- Opportunity for outside funding to support program innovation.
- Renewed faculty excitement about teaching and greater self-awareness.
- You might also consider other benefits that you can think of that aren’t on this list.
Update your document in the SoTL Research Plan Folder to reflect two to three value propositions that would motivate you to participate in SoTL activities. Compare with a few others.
Take it to The Bank (submit response to the Activity Bank)